Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora, 你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Find insights that help us understand both Canva and how our customers are seeing performance issues and how it impacts their experience - we want you to be creative and insightful, rather than just throwing the usual metrics at the wall to see what sticks.
- Help refine and run interesting experiments that improve our technical implementations to make Canva faster for users - when we push tests to 100% we want to actually see the bump in the relevant graph.
- Build and maintain dashboards for our teams, and make them very functional and simple to understand the insights they convey - you don’t need to be a designer or have any design talent, you just need to want to build cool things
- Own projects, data models, dashboards, and other artefacts and keep them up-to-date and high quality in a hypergrowth environment.
- Create graphs and dashboards that help engineers and product managers to understand their systems and features better.
- Use our vast amounts of product and technical data to help us research how our users are expecting Canva to perform and where we can improve customer retention if we improve the performance.
- Help us extend data literacy and curiosity throughout the whole company when it comes to how making Canva fast and smooth can help improve our product metrics.
You're probably a match if
- You have strong competency with SQL; experience with data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery is a plus!
- You are experienced with data wrangling and analysing data using Python or R.
- You’re skilled in deriving insight from a vast amount of analytics and tracing data and expressing that insight in clearly readable graphs and dashboards.
- You may have a grounding in mathematics/statistics and a bachelor's degree in a STEM area (not mandatory).
- You have some experience with web technologies the frontend and web performance, and understand how performance impacts the user experience (not mandatory).
- You may have played with very large data sets (not mandatory).
- You are a strong communicator, verbally and written, with the ability able to break down complex topics into simple solutions and ideas.
About the team
At Canva, our mission is to empower the world to design, and we’re looking for insightful data scientists who can help us make that happen.
Our product has grown enormously in the last few years. We now have 100s of millions of users generating enormous quantities of data every single day. To help us fuel our future growth, we need to better understand our data - this is where we need your help.
The team provides Canva with tools and insight regarding the user perceived performance of the product. This covers the loading speed of the website, how responsive Canva is to user actions and how quickly the user can finish the tasks they set out to accomplish. The ultimate goal is to empower all teams to make better decisions when it comes to making Canva an enjoyable product to use.
We're looking for self-motivated individuals who are curious about our product and our users, and who are excited to seek out valuable insights. We don’t want you to just be a resource that answers questions - we want you to act as a genuine data partner with your team and the broader business. We have a LOT of data and need people who can use their skills to help us make the most of it!
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
-Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
-An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
-Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.