What you’ll do (responsibilities)
- Work closely with leads, designers, data analysts, product managers, and engineers to build localized features and product experiments to achieve revenue and active user growth goals in the local markets
- Design, develop and launch product experiments and solutions. Working closely with other team members to plan and take follow-up actions, such as productization, termination, or working on the next iteration of the experiment
- Communicate effectively with collaborators in Beijing, Sydney headquarter, and all across Canva when developing a solution; seek and incorporate diverse perspectives to address complex issues
- Have the opportunity to work with the most update-to-date tools and tech stacks in a very complex enterprise-level frontend-heavy project
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and effectively advocate for engineering needs to non-technical partners within the group
- Frame initiative and ownership in achieving goals, continue to improve on the components, workflows, and processes that we own
What we're looking for
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Familiar with key web programming languages and frameworks
- Strong communication skills to work cross-functionally across several teams, to work with a diverse range of code owners
- Strong problem solving skills that allow you to learn fast and contribute to an unfamiliar territory where challenges and solutions are not well defined
Nice to have
- Experience in products with payment flows, subscription and billing systems
- Experience in backend/full-stack development (Java, Node.js, etc.)
- Good understanding of building systems (e.g. compilers, transpilers and dependency managers), including Bazel, NPM/Yarn and Webpack
- Good understanding of testing at scale (the role of unit, integration, visual, end of end in large systems)
- Familiarity with React and common design patterns
- Familiarity with Typescript and MobX
- Familiarity with HTTP/SSL, edge and proxy systems (e.g. Cloudflare and Nginx)
- Familiarity with some our of infrastructure/tooling: AWS, Nix, Terraform, Buildkite, Docker and Github
- Familiarity with logging and monitoring tools (Datadog, Kibana and Sentry)
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratize design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture, and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since Canva’s launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing 125 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 15 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia, but our hubs in Beijing and Wuhan are home to our operations in China. Our China hubs have been designed with you in mind - a space for you to come together and connect with your team, both near and far. With delicious breakfast and lunch meals provided (and with plenty of snacks), you'll always stay fuelled to take on the day. Zoom the Sydney team with tea and biscuit? You got it!
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.