Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but Austria is home to part of our European operations. And with that you will have choice in how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
Fun fact - our Austrian team actually started out as Kaleido before being acquired by us in 2021. Kaleido's product team develops visual AI products, that make complex things simple for users. Now, together we deliver visual AI features within Canva to help reimagine how artificial intelligence can be used in design. We think it's a perfect match.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
The Design Generation EU Team is focused on revolutionizing the design industry through AI and image generation. Our mission is to create user-friendly tools that harness the power of artificial intelligence to enhance the creativity and productivity of designers.
The team works closely with teams in Sydney, sharing ideas and best practices to deliver cutting-edge solutions. Our goal is to make a lasting impact on the design industry and continuously improve our products and services to meet the evolving needs of users.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Help integrate our Design Generation Model into Canva and build tooling around it - this is not a hands-off role, you're expected to write production-level code on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the evolving stack as part of a highly functional and passionate team.
- Work closely with the AI/ML teams in Australia and Austria to collaboratively innovate and deliver cutting-edge functionality.
- Coach, lead, and mentor your team (of currently 4 Engineers) to help them achieve their goals.
- Perform structured performance reviews with your team members, conduct regular 1:1s, participate in the hiring process of new engineers, and plan goals & milestones for your team.
- Foster a positive and productive work environment by promoting collaboration, open communication, and continuous learning and development opportunities for your team.
You're probably a match if
- You possess firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals, including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- You can work collaboratively with team members and communicate effectively
- You have several years of experience in people management, leading and mentoring other software engineers. Providing mentorship to others is close to your heart, and you thrive by empowering others.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and are eager to proactively find and develop novel solutions to challenging problems.
- You are a strong communicator and a team player and are eager to work together with your colleagues to brainstorm ideas.
We are required by law to state the minimum salary for this position , which is at least EUR 70,000 gross per year. We pay competitive salaries - depending on your qualifications and experience - and you also get to participate in the company’s stock option program .
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.