Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Coach four backend engineers, helping them develop in their careers and keeping them engaged and motivated.
- Contributing to the engineering strategy to ensure we offer secure and reliable products while managing debt and delivery tradeoffs as we work toward our crazy big goals.
- Our customers are developers, which means Canva engineers can bring insights into our product roadmap.
- Collaborate with Canva engineers to scope and solve complex problems that are highly impactful to Ecosystem objectives.
- You’ll still be hands on and expected to contribute to the codebase, doing pair programming and code reviews.
- Create an impactful and highly engaged team of world-class engineers building for billions of users.
- Drive planning, refinement and delivery of seasonal goals, ensuring alignment across the group and teams.
You're probably a match if
- Experience leading an engineering team through goals and strategy influenced by the vision agreed on by the group.
- Prior experience working in teams that support developers is beneficial but not mandatory (such as a public ecosystem or internal platform teams)
- Be a thought leader while working collaboratively with engineers and PMs to build a delightful product for Canva Users and Developers.
- Leverage your experience as a software engineer to lead engineering strategy by driving pragmatic tradeoffs and prioritising tech projects such as scaling and debt recovery at the right time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work with a diverse range of Canvanauts from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs.
- Proven expertise in inspiring others to achieve their full potential and enabling the individual contributors within your team to grow and create great Canva products.
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva's values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
About the team
With the proliferation of innovations in generative AI and as large organizations have increasingly complex workflows to manage their designs, Canva is well poised to become the platform that simplifies access and discovery of services related to visual design. We are already working with hundreds of developers to enable access to these exciting products with our Apps SDK and Canva public REST API!
As one of the teams in Ecosystem, the Developer Experience Platform team maintains the core backend infrastructure housing apps and making them, and all associated configuration, available to our clients. Our clients range from the app listings as a part of our various marketplaces to the app sandbox that runs developer code on the FE.
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Software Engineer - Abbie Wade has to say about working in Engineering at Canva -
" The challenges that I am solving do not have a known solution, which means I get to create and innovate each day."
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.