Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Group:
The Cloud Platform Group owns Canva’s cloud infrastructure, which ensures the safe, secure and reliable operation of canva.com . We also provide key support for critical internal workflows. Our mission is “To reduce the complexity burden of using the Cloud”, which we achieve through a combination of the tooling and services we provide, our robust standards, comprehensive developer documentation library and a team of experts who love a good challenge.
Cloud Platform engineers appreciate how strong continuous integration (CI) and continuous development (CD) tooling uplifts the entire developer experience. Our platforms support engineers across the company to provision and configure Cloud resources, as well as to manage release, runtime and operational workflows. We do all this in the simplest and most secure way possible. What we create will free engineers from having to worry about what goes on under the hood, allowing them to produce their best work. We are the stewards of a seamless, scalable ecosystem that’s extensible, easy to use, and backed by uncompromising security.
About the Team:
Cloud Essentials team’s primary mission is to provide easy ways to provision, configure and manage fundamental infrastructure components in the Cloud for all engineering teams at Canva. In order to fulfil this mission, we are not only following Software engineering best practices and Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) methodologies, but also designing, maintaining and implementing supportive automations and Cloud architectures.
Therefore, we expect Cloud Essentials team members to possess a spectrum of skills from general computer science skills, Cloud solution architectures, IaC tooling to high-level programming languages.
This specific role is tailored around designing, developing and maintaining fundamental infrastructure components within the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) based on the best practices described in the "Google Cloud Architecture Framework". This includes designing and implementing automations around
- GCP Organization structure
- GCP project creation / deletion
- Access control (IAM) for GCP Org
by expanding existing provisioning / baselining services as well as Infrastructure-as-Code modules.
What you’ll do (responsibilities):
- Design, implement and maintain processes and automations for Canva’s engineering teams to simplify the provisioning and configuration of their workloads in the Cloud and other platforms
- Be an SMEs in Infrastructure-as-Code (specifically, in Terraform and GCP)
- Develop infrastructure solutions with scalability, high-availability, and security in mind
- Collaborate with other teams to work out the best solutions to their cloud problems
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Propose and contribute to new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we continue scaling globally
What we're looking for:
- Advanced coding proficiency in either Python or Golang (both preferred)
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience in designing, maintaining, automating Cloud Infrastructure in GCP (preferred), AWS and/or Azure
- Experience working with infrastructure as code - Terraform (preferred), AWS CloudFormation / SAM / CDK, or similar
- Strong Computer Science background and knowledge of OOP fundamentals
- An understanding of cloud security best practices
- Working knowledge of DevOps best practices, Microservices, Kubernetes, Container Orchestration, Serverless
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - both technical and plain language
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.