Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About Internal Applications
This role sits within our Internal Applications team, which creates bespoke internal products such as a people directory, translation bot and URL shortener to help us operate efficiently as we rapidly scale our headcount.
These products are tailored to Canva’s needs and help us maintain our culture. We are looking for a Fullstack Software Engineer with a Frontend focus to contribute to a versatile team to ensure the continued success of our internal apps.
What you'll do!
- Work with a product designer, product manager and fellow engineers to build web applications with a focus on an outstanding client-side experience
- Build efficient, performant and reusable frontend abstractions and systems
- Lead frontend development within the team, including training and mentoring others
- While this is a frontend-focused role, the majority of our backend is Python based which you’ll also work on to build out APIs, integrations and infrastructure
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Communicate and collaborate with other team members to resolve the best solutions to difficult problems
- Facilitate teamwork and efficiently advocate for engineering needs to non-technical team members
- Models initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improving processes and solutions
- Help to identify and communicate standard practices and methodologies for frontend engineering
- Experience with backend development using languages such as Python and frameworks such as Flask
- Experience with React and state management with libraries such as MobX
- Proven track record developing rich web applications
- Up-to-date knowledge of browser, HTML and CSS standards to support cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture and design patterns
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with experience discussing technical issues and solutions, engaging with team members and conducting code reviews
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.