Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Howdy, howdy! This opportunity is huge - we are a small Smartmockups team, working on the Canva product! Smartmockups helps people and businesses the world over create engaging visual materials. Our online mockup tool features a stellar mockup library, intuitive design tools, and is available anywhere, anytime. Smartmockups is the easiest way to showcase your designs on real-world products. Launched in 2016, Smartmockups proudly joined the Canva family in 2021.We're on a common mission to revolutionize product visualizations and help bring the design for 85 MAUs to life!
Finally - you're probably curious about our technology stack. At a high level, Canva's backend is powered by a set of services (some micro, some not-so-micro) built primarily in Java, hosted on Linux, sitting on AWS. We also sprinkle in some powerful open-source libraries and tools, as well as bespoke components to power some of the magic. Canva stack is slightly different from what we use at Smartmockups - backend technologies that we use are Node.Js, WebGL, HTML Canvas, AWS, MongoDB, etc.
About the Team
We have an ambitious roadmap of integrating SM product visualization into Canva and need the help of more BE engineers to help with those goals.In total we have 12 people in engineering - we all still have a big impact and the ability to do crazy big things. Our Engineering consists of three teams - two of them are working on Canva integrations - Smartmockups product and Smartmockups tool in Canva. This backend engineer will join our team to work on critical Smartmockups <> Canva integrations. Join us and design your future.
What you’ll do day by day
- You'll be part of the Integrations team and work on new Product visualization products and integration of our product inside Canva
- You'll be day by day finding the best possible ways to adapt best practices from Sydney engineering teams into our environment - basically you'll be one of the first engineers who'll be working on backend integrations in the Smartmockups team directly with the Canva tech stack!
- Build, and debug Product visualization experience and product features in Java/if you have some knowledge of Node.Js would be big plus
- Propose innovative solutions to ensure we future-proof product and features as print grows
- Actively participate in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Optimize backend performance for global scale
- Once you’ve settled in and have a comfortable grasp of the product, environment, and processes, you’ll be given more responsibility and start leveraging your previous experience — bringing new ideas to the table
- Cooperate between various engineering team within Canva Global and Canva Europe.
We'd love it if you have...
- Commercial experience developing complex web applications - ours is pretty big as you probably realized!
- Currently, we use mostly Node.js so ideally, you will be comfortable using both (node.Js and Java) technologies but we are also open to pure Java developer! Because in 2023 we are planning to use more Java as one of the major backend technologies.
While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!Collaboration skills, passion for what we do and for coding! :)
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.