Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the UX Research team
At Canva, our users are at the heart of everything we do. Our UX Research team plays a vital role in the vision and success of our company. One of the best things about Canva is how much everyone across the business cares about users and improving their experience - you’ll never have to sell anyone on the value of user research.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s multi-faceted user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide.
Our research team is diverse, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
About the Group you’ll be joining
The Manage Teams Group is on a mission to empower large teams with flexible configuration and team management capabilities. The group is responsible for driving core product capabilities and seamless user experiences for teams to set up and manage Canva so their team members can thrive! This group is working on a number of exciting initiatives that have a huge impact on Canva’s overall strategy and growth.
As the Senior UX Researcher joining the Manage Teams group, you will help us to become the tool that large organizations love and rely on, every day in every part of their business. You will help us understand how people in large organisations set up, use and manage Canva. You’ll help our product team build empathy for our users, and identify and prioritize major product improvements and opportunities.
We are searching for an experienced Senior UX Researcher to help us define the design direction and product strategy for our team and administrator experiences in Canva. Research projects you’ll oversee directly tie to Canva’s company-wide goals, so increasing user understanding and identifying key product opportunities is of critical importance.
Your sphere of ownership covers how our team administrators:
- Assess the value of Canva
- Setup their organization and teams in Canva
- Manage their teams in Canva including team controls and customisations
- Use Canva to design / collaborate with their teams
What you'll do
- Lead high-priority research projects for the Mange Teams Group including assessing the needs of diverse teams (in size, location, makeup, etc) and the admins that support them
- Apply a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods to analyze user or product data and distill this into written and visual reports.
- Build relationships and closely collaborate with your project stakeholders, and across the Supergroup
- Participate and contribute to our UX Research sub-specialty: own or contribute to special projects, provide feedback to fellow researchers, share your ideas for how we can improve
- Provide consultative guidance to PMs and Designers conducting their own research, within the T&E Supergroup (e.g. office hours)
- Be a champion for our users, and product experience: share your insights publicly across the company and inspire change that needs to be made to improve the Canva user experience.
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva
- The ideal candidate is a qualitative researcher with 5+ years of experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, executing, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- You have a solid understanding of primary research methodologies such as interviews, diary studies, participatory design, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and know when these are best used. Additionally, you combine these with data sources like product data, experiments, support tickets to understand user needs holistically.
- You can creatively flex research plans depending on team needs, understanding and clearly communicating trade-offs.
- You have strong skills and confidence in communicating and advocating for, user research with senior stakeholders and leadership.
- You thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires strong problem-solving skills and autonomy.
- You have experience closely collaborating with product teams (PM, Design, Engineering, Marketing, and more). You enjoy collaborating with stakeholders throughout projects, and consider bringing them along the journey to be an essential part of the process.
- You have experience mentoring and helping designers and PMs become better researchers. For example, providing feedback on research plans, interview technique, or final reports.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills. Whether it’s during a workshop, presentation, or even a Slack message - you have an innate ability to rally a team together and inspire change.
Nice to have but not required
- Prior experience in the B2B SaaS software industry
- Prior experience conducting research with large enterprises
- An understanding of platform and network security requirements such as SAML SSO, SCIM
- A degree in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.