Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Canva is always looking for ways to ensure the product experience for our users is delightful. Experimentation is one of levers we action to make scientifically informed decisions when releasing new features to the public.
In this role, you will be leading a team of engineers to continue building our experimentation platform and help establish a culture of experimentation at Canva. The team is composed of frontend and backend engineers along with data specialists supporting the data intensive parts of the platform.
The team handles the whole experimentation experience, from formulating an hypothesis, running the A/B testing to the final decision to roll out (or not) the feature.
The team's vision is to empower all Canvanauts to get actionable user feedback and learnings about their product in a fast and reliable way and make well tested and informed decisions.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Leading the way to build an experimentation culture at Canva from the bottom all the way to the top with our leaders.
- Being responsible for the continued development of new features, functionality, and optimisation. This includes improving the existing platform, for example, ensure metrics of success are tailored to specific experiments or alerting early when an experiment degrades our user experience.
- Designing, building out, and autonomously leading discussions about our team's products to address problems from our product teams and company leaders and enable their teams to make fast and informed decisions about the products they build.
- Collaborating with data analysts and scientists, product managers and engineers across the organisation to increase the velocity and accuracy of experimentation.
- Coaching the professional development of the engineers on your team. This involves providing guidance and support to help them grow, finding opportunities for advancement, and holding them accountable for their own progress.
You're probably a match if:
- You have successful experience in a team leadership role with direct reports, whilst being hands on yourself.
- You have five-plus years of commercial experience developing complex, distributed web applications on the JVM; experience writing Java (experience with other JVM languages such as Scala, Kotlin, etc is fine - however, we primarily use Java 17).
- You're comfortable with computer science and engineering fundamentals: concurrency, data structures, and distributed systems.
- You've got experience working in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS). We're hosted on AWS and leverage the tools they provide as much as possible.
- You have disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach as opposed to framework or library-focused; We strive to build fast and lean solutions; not library/framework-heavy patchwork.
- You have validated communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. A Canva engineer strives to understand the exact problem before jumping into writing code - look before you leap!
- You're experienced working with data specialists e.g. data scientists, data analysts, statisticians and the data ecosystem of tools e.g. Data Warehousing (Snowflake) or SQL knowledge are a huge plus, but not required;
- You're familiar with frontend development or working with frontend engineers is a bonus but not required.
About the team
The Experimentation Platform team owns our experimentation tools, services and processes used by 100s of Canvanauts. Our mission is to "Accelerate growth & delight by helping Canva to learn from every single user" which is achieved through an in house platform tailored for Canva's needs and practices and designed to empower all engineers and product managers to make confident and well tested decisions for the benefits of Canva users. A lot of what the team does is also about establishing a culture for experimentation.
The team is part of the larger Data group which looks after the ecosystem of data systems and tools.
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Software Engineer - Abbie Wade has to say about working in Engineering at Canva -
" The challenges that I am solving do not have a known solution, which means I get to create and innovate each day."
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.