Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Design Experience Supergroup
The Design Experience supergroup's mission is to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything
You will be responsible for Canva's video, presentations, and docs experiences, among others. This will involve simplifying the complexities that come with these experiences, and reimagining how traditional video, presentation and doc editing works.
With millions of users using Canva every day, this is an opportunity to redefine visual and animated communication and have a global impact on the way people create content.
Working across several high-impact groups and teams, you will quickly become exposed to and have the opportunity to create impact to all moving parts of Canva, working in collaboration with individuals across multiple groups.
About the Content Design Specialty
Content Design is on a mission to help our users fulfill their goals with clarity and joy.
We’re looking to achieve this by building an amazing team with a culture of clear and crisp writing. Our focus is on systems, not just sentences. We create and improve flows, not just the words. We seek to have deep impact on key areas, not just shallow impact everywhere.
We're a small and growing part of our Design specialty. Canva sees content as a crucial part of its ongoing success – and we’re really focused on improving our content experience. We have a fun, human voice that we want to do a better job of getting across to our users, instead of, you know, “generic UX writing” voice.
We’re passionate about working together to create the future of Content Design at Canva; it’s not a top-down approach. Your opinion matters! You’ll also get lots of support from the diverse content team across the business. As soon as you arrive, we’ll be saying “Thank goodness you’re here!”
The content design specialty collaborates closely with Product Managers, Designers, Engineers and Design Researchers to identify solutions that prioritize our users’ needs.
About the role
Location : You must be based in Australia or New Zealand for this role. If relocation is necessary, we will include it in the hiring process and provide our support.
Content Design : This is an individual contributor role. You’ll use your writing skills, User Experience principles and knowledge of technical requirements of front-end development to develop product copy that helps Canva users to collaborate without the headaches. You’ll also work with the rest of the Content Design team to solve problems we’re all facing, so we can continue to build a robust, thriving specialty.
Results : You’ll help design and develop the Canva website and applications from a content-first perspective, where your content design decisions move the metrics that matter
Collaboration : You’ll bring design, PMs, engineers and researchers together to find the best solutions for our users and to mitigate web-related issues by solving problems with language
Goals that you'll achieve:
- Building relationships within your product areas, and building your own understanding of how and why these different experiences exist
- Audit the different creation experiences (video, presentations, whiteboards, docs, websites etc) and earmark opportunities for scalable consistency
- Support the creation of an emerging product (Sheets) that needs a Content Designer's clarity magic-wand
- Overhaul the onboarding experience for video, presentations, whiteboarding and docs
- Create scalable consistency for AI experiences with a focus on trust and delight
- Continue building relationships with stakeholders across the business to ensure alignment with parallel initiatives that impact the core editing experience
What we are looking for:
- You’re a senior strategic Content Designer who’s got a proven track record of solving complex problems, ideally in the tech/SaaS industry. This means you have at least 5 years of content design or UX writing experience.
- You’ve owned Content Design research before and can champion best practices for studies and experiments in the messaging space.
- You have incredible UX writing skills and an impressive content design portfolio, and are a stickler for brand voice, consistency and style.
- You know how to work independently, but you also love collaborating with people from different disciplines and sharing the power of content design.
- You’ve got a good balance between big-picture thinking and nailing the details.
- You’re not afraid of complex problems – in fact, that’s where you thrive.
- You know how to get buy-in from key stakeholders. You’ve got a track record of bringing people on the journey with you – they know what’s changing and why.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.