Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship office is in Sydney, Australia, but we've made our way from down under, to hubs in Austin and San Francisco, which are now home to our US operations. So whether you're in Texas or California, you have choice in where and how you work in each of those states. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the role
This role is an amazing opportunity to facilitate Canva’s employee-centric attitude in our American region. The primary role of the Payroll Specialist will be to own the preparation of the in-house payroll for the United States end-to-end with the support of our payroll assistants and the opportunity for exposure to multiple global projects and initiatives. It has the ability to shape our processes for the continued growth and increasing complexities in benefits & payroll compliance in the United States as we continue to automate key financial processes. The hire will have a chance to leave their mark on the maturation of the payroll function at Canva, with plenty of room for growth.
About the team
Canva’s Payroll team is part of the Finance & Legal Group and is predominantly based in Australia, the Philippines and growing teams in EMEA & the United States. We handle payroll across our growing number of Canvanauts worldwide. Our headcount is growing quickly as we continue to scale the business with the finance team alone forecast to double in size in the next year. Our headcount growth comes from Canva entities, as well as through any companies that we acquire globally.
With payroll being one of the most critical functions in Finance, the team has a huge part to play in making Canva one of the best places to work. We strive to ensure every Canvanaut is paid correctly and on time.
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Corporate Accountant - Paddy Nordstrom has to say about working in Finance at Canva -
"I support the wider finance squad with any tricky technical accounting, as well as ensuring our financial reporting withstands external scrutiny. Every day Canvanaut's are coming up with crazy big goals (and making them happen!), which means lots of new and funky accounting challenges."
What you’d be doing in this role:
- You will own the end-to-end payroll & compliance processes for our employees & contractors in the United States with the support of our Payroll Assistants.
- You will inform and support the Global Payroll strategy to capture all future requirements in the Americas region.
- You will prepare the bi-monthly payroll analytics, becoming familiar with all the various drivers of payroll variances and will learn to spot outliers and unexpected differences for critical issues.
- You will be part of the continuous improvement of processes & controls in this space.
- You will be the key point of contact for the business for all things payroll for the United States & any future payrolls or EORs in the Americas.
- You will familiarize yourself with the payroll integration between our HR platform and our Payroll platforms and assist with ensuring the timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of data with the support of our Payroll Systems analyst.
- You will work closely with Payroll Assistants in the Philippines & other Payroll Specialists in Australia to streamline processes and roll out global payroll changes.
- You will be part of a fun and agile team that constantly seeks to support and develop each other in a hyper-growth environment.
You're probably a match if:
- You have at least 5+ years of relevant payroll experience in the United States
- You have a proven understanding of United States payroll & compliance requirements
- You take ownership of processes and have an eagerness to apply previous findings to new challenges and evolve with the growth of the company
- You have experience dealing with large volumes of data, prioritizing a keen eye for detail and analytical skills, which results in intermediate to advanced Excel/Google Sheets skills
- You have a strong interest and passion for using systems and technology
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- You have exceptional communication, interpersonal, and stakeholder management skills
- You have the maturity to handle confidential information
- You have experience with other international payrolls (bonus)
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.